New York City, NY
- Packing for #Vancouver and #Whistler - what to pack?! Ski suit AND a rain coat?! Pumped for @TEDConferences ! @TEDFellow #TED2014 @TEDTalks
- oh Korea. t.co/fBA3V4a4Uj
- #thisweek support #newmusic & see @bangonacan this Thursday 3/13 @MerkinConcert. Tix: t.co/IioFwZzdHc #checkitout #nyc
- I was recently asked "what is #music to you?" To start, "a medium in which human communication & expression finds a language to speak..."
- Thrilled to announce my CD release concert is scheduled for April 23rd @AsiaSociety . Tix & info: t.co/URnZ8cNqmd #nyc #savethedate
Sunken Cathedral is a multimedia album release (CD, Vinyl, and Gralbum, co-produced by R. Luke DuBois) by Korean-American composer, vocalist, sonic surrealist Bora Yoon. Designed as an architectural journey through the chambers of the subconscious, each track on the album illuminates a different sonic “space,” which excavates the memories, insights, and intersections in which our greatest diamonds and demons are held. Sunken Cathedral traces death, life, rebirth and the cyclical/recombinant nature of the universe; the alchemical moment of transmutation where one medium becomes another.
Yoon creates immersive audiovisual soundscapes using digital devices, voice and found objects and instruments from a variety of cultures and centuries – evoking memory and association to formulate a cinematic storytelling through sound design. A site-specific and architectural composer, Yoon writes for a wide spectrum of spaces ranging from an abandoned pool to a Frank Gehry building to galleries and black box theaters.
A 2014 TED fellow, Yoon’s pioneering works have been presented at Lincoln Center, Brooklyn Academy of Music, the Nam June Paik Museum (Korea), Singapore Arts Festival, MADE Festival (Sweden), Festival of World Cultures (Poland), Park Avenue Armory, and Walker Art Center, among others.
Classically trained and steeped in a first love of choral music, Yoon is fascinated by the intersection of space and sound, maps, human Venn diagrams, handsome sounding kitchenware, sonorities and the pulleys and strings that hold everything together.
Visual album release with the Graphic Album Collective, coming Spring 2014, featuring the kinetic sculptures of artist Uram Choe. A new application for the iPad, for listeners to visually experience and interact with musical records.